Even after all this time, the most popular post on my blog is still Mr. Asian Fetish. Apparently, and perhaps for good reason, this is a hot button topic on the interwebs. Frankly, I have been reluctant to write about it again because I don’t want to give the impression that being Asian or being fetishized is the sole or primary component of my identity.
I recently encountered somebody whose exotification of my slanty-eyes got me so riled that he left me no choice but to revisit the topic of the Asian fetish.
To sum up my previous post on it:
- I don’t think of it as a fetish. I think of it as a personal preference that may sometimes manifest itself as broader stereotyping.
- I don’t mind if I’m your physical type for whatever reason, but come on, fool, don’t be an asstard about it.
- Parisian men are usually asstards about it.
After being waylaid by Mr. Geisha Fantasy on my way out of a cafe the other day I still stand by all three points. I cite the following excerpts from our conversation.
He commented on my accent:
- Mr. Geisha Fantasy : “You speak French with a Japanese accent.”
- Man-shopper’s brain : “Kill me now.”
- Man-shopper’s mouth : “I’m American. That’s like saying you speak English with a white person accent.”
- Mr. Geisha Fantasy : “No. You do. I am telling you. I know what I’m talking about. I lived in Japan.”
- Man-shopper’s brain : “I hate my life sometimes.”
He has, I suspect, absolutely no idea what he is talking about:
- Mr. Geisha Fantasy : “I like to work out too. I lived in Japan, you know.”
- Man-shopper’s brain : “What the hell is going on here??”
He clearly has some thrilling insights about pan-Asian uniformity:
- Mr. Geisha Fantasy : “You Asians are all kind of the same, aren’t you?”
- Man-shopper’s brain : “@$#%^~*!!”
- Man-shopper’s mouth : “Yes. Of course. You’re right. We are all the same. You can switch me out with any other Asian. We’d be having this same conversation.”
- Man-shopper’s brain : “He MUST understand sarcasm, right??”
- Mr. Geisha Fantasy : “Yes, that’s exactly what I mean!”
- Man-shopper’s brain : “Oooor… not.
He likes an Asian in red:
- Mr. Geisha Fantasy : “You obviously like brightly colored dresses. You should wear bright red lipstick. I know lots of Japanese women who wear red lipstick.”
- Man-shopper’s brain : “Seriously? SERIOUSLY??”
What a charmer.