I spent New Year’s Eve in Angra with friends and neighbors, and I can safely say that it was the best New Year’s Eve bash to which I’ve had the privilege of being invited.
Instead of dropping a truckload of money on a big (crappy) party at a nightclub, we opted to go in with our neighbors at the shared “club” here.
This, my friends, is the way to go. We all chipped in with homemade food, a DJ was hired, and some protective awning was put up in the event of tropical rain. We ladies put ourselves to work in the kitchen, while the lads were given a big box of decorations and were charged with decorating the club. (Surprisingly, this turned out NOT to be a mistake. I can’t believe it still, since they attempted to use drapes as tablecloths at first, but they made the place look stunning. I suspect that they may have lassoed one of the female neighbors into supervising the effort.)
I will say this: In this country, they sure know how to party.
Everyone dressed in white, convivial atmosphere, lots of food, and a seemingly endless supply of champagne…
- It doesn’t matter what color underwear you wear under white; fear of its visibility becomes moot when you jump in the pool. Or when somebody throws you in.
- Regardless of the party, Brazilians will start a conga line. Count on it.
- Barnacles are sharp. Don’t touch them.
NYE highlights : Man-shopper goes wild
- At some juncture, I took off my dress. I’m not sure when or why exactly I made this decision, but I suppose it doesn’t really matter now, does it? The point remains, I took off my dress.
- I fell off the dock into the ocean. No, really. I literally took a long walk off a short pier.
- After enough champagne, I’m sure I thought that I was the best dancer in the world, and I’m sure that this was not a pretty sight. I’m sorry, everyone.
- At the end of the night, I passed out, on my back, dressed only in lacy knickers, on top of my covers. I suppose I should mention that I was sharing the room with three men, who also told me later that I was snoring like a wild beast.
- One of my roommates purportedly brought home a girl, next to whom I apparently slept all night, but I was so zonked out that I had absolutely no idea. She probably didn’t appreciate my snoring. Or my nakedness, for that matter.
New Year’s Resolution #1: Drink less.